Wild Cherries has long been a centralized meeting spot for Truckee’s athletic community. Owner Kristin Krone’s history of athletic prowess has created this community, and it shows.
Stop by on any weekend day in the summer and you’ll see a rack of bikes lined up in the front center parking spot that’s been converted to a bike rack. Road cyclists stop for their coffee fix before a ride on Old Hwy 40 over Donner Pass to Cisco Grove. Groups of runners sit together outside to enjoy a meal after a run around Donner Lake, or up Coldstream Canyon. Swimmers warm up with a coffee and breakfast after an early morning swim in Donner Lake. In the winter, Wild Cherries is a very popular spot with skiers stopping to pick up coffee and breakfast on their way to the mountain, and you’ll see an equal mix of backcountry, nordic, and alpine skiers mingling together.
Not only does Wild Cherries have wonderful coffee, but what really sets this joint apart from the rest, is the healthy and hearty breakfast and lunch menu.
Here are Marc Pro – Strava’s favorite items:
- Conrad orders oatmeal for breakfast “Conrad Sized”, which is simply a giant portion of chef Juan’s mexican style oatmeal served in a salad bowl and topped with bananas and strawberries. Favorite lunch is the tuna melt on wheat. Always get the chips and homemade spicy salsa as your side! The slow infused iced coffee is unbelievable. It’s so strong they dilute it by 50% with water.
- Matt likes “LT’s special”: The spicy chicken club sandwich served as a wrap, and accompanies it with a strawberry smoothie and a shot of espresso
- Nick orders a Wheat Bagel with Egg, Bacon and Cheddar Cheese. When eaten for breakfast,this combo results in winning bike races
- Frank orders the breakfast smoothie of yogurt, your choice of fruit and granola
- Forrest says the BLTA on rye is where it’s at. Best when served with an iced green tea with lemon and a little sugar
- Justin’s favorite lunch sandwich is the Turkey Pesto Provolone. The foccacia bread makes it exceptionally exceptional
- Jamie and Nate never leave without an iced blueberry scone- gigantic and fantastic
- Paul always gets a custom breakfast bagel that he’s lobbying to be named the MacPaulster and placed on the permanent menu. It’s an everything bagel, egg, avocado, sun dried tomato and bacon
- Gary likes the veggie-lite sandwich on sourdough, with a mango/nut/granola smoothie
- Glenn’s orders either a breakfast sandwich, or a “Conrad sized” bowl of oatmeal
- The Ramburgler munches on the Cobb salad with a double espresso
- Andy’s kids like the breakfast egg sandwich specials and smoothies, while dad prefers a tall Mocha
- Jesse pounds a breakfast smoothie before setting records up all the local climbs, then returns for a delicious and hearty Cobb salad for lunch
Time for you to stop in and try them all – tell them we sent you!